I learnt this delicious recipe from my aunt. Nowadays whenever this spicy tokku is prepared at home, I am remainded of my late father. This was was one of his favourite dishes. This goes very well with plain rice with ghee and also with Roti/chapati/puri/idly and dosa.
KOTHAMALLI THOKKU DRY
(FRESH CORIANDER LEAVES PICKLE DRY/PESTO)
Coriander leaves - 1 bunch
Red Chilli - 20 pcs
Urid dal - 2 tsp
Tamarind - ½ lemon size (10 gm)
Sesame oil - 5 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Clean, wash and spread the coriander leaves in the cloth for an hour so that the moisture will evaporate. (if we dry completely under the sun the shelf life will be more).
2. Roast chilly and urd dhal like golden colour with 1tsp sesame oil and keep aside.
3. Saute coriander leaves with 4tsp sesame oil until raw smell goes off and keep aside for cool.
4. Powder coarsely the red chilly first.
5. Add coriander, tamarind, salt and grind without adding water.
6. Finally add urid dal and grind.
7. Make small balls and keep it in tight container.