When I was 8 or 9 years old, for summer vacation I visited my grandma's place in Chennai, then called as 'Madras' :) where I first tasted this dish and it was so well prepared, from that time I am extremely fond of this dish. This goes very well with roti, chapatti, pulka and also with plain hot rice.
CHENAI SATTI MASIYAL (mashed yam stew)
Yam - 200 gram
Toor dal - 25 gram
Lemon - 1 extract juice
Green chili - 2 cut into pieces
Urid dal - ½ tsp
Ginger pieces - ½ tsp
Grated coconut - 3 tsp
Asafoetida, Curry leaves, Oil and Salt
1. Pressure cook Yam and Toor dal separately with a pinch of turmeric powder.
2. Smash yam and toor dal and keep aside.
3. Heat thick bottom kadai with 1 tsp oil. (I use coconut oil which gives good aroma).
4. Crackle mustard seed, urid dal and asafoetida.
5. Add curry leaves, ginger pieces, green chilly, grated coconut and sauté for a minute.
6. Add yam, toor dal and salt.
7. Mix well and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
8. Switch off the stove and add lemon juice.
1. Just the addition of *tamarind juice instead of lemon juice, yam masiyal can get a different taste.
2. *Extract little tamarind juice and cook until raw smell goes off.
3. Other preparation are same as mentioned above