Living very close to the vegetable market makes it comfortable to pick fresh "Palak"/broad leaf spinach which is available only in the evening. I immediately use that up for dinner to make delicious "Palak Paneer" without Ginger-Garlic paste which is relished by all members of my family.
Palak/broad leaf spinach - 1 bunch (wash and take only the leaves)
Paneer - 100 gram cut into small cubes
Onion -1 medium size cut into small pieces
Green chili - 2 slitted
Cumin seed - ½ tsp
Garam Masala - ½ tsp
Coriander powder - ½ tsp
Cashewnut - 4 pcs
Tomato blanched - 1
Butter to sauté, lemon piece and salt to taste
1. Grind cashewnut and tomato and keep aside.
2. Chop palak and sauté with 1tsp butter, cool them and blend coarsely. Set aside.
1. Place the paneer in hot water for 5 minutes, drain and keep aside OR sauté paneer pieces with 1tsp butter and a pinch of black salt.
2. With 1 tsp butter add cumin seed, green chili and onion and sauté till onion turns light brown color.
3. Add cashew nut & tomato mixture, garam masala, coriander powder and sauté for five minutes.
4. Mix blended palak and cook for just few minutes in low flame.
5. Finally add paneer, gently mix and cook for one more minute.
6. Serve with butter on top/lemon wedges. Goes well with rice/bread varieties.
This can also be prepared with ½ tsp Ginger-Garlic paste and should be added while sauting onion.