'Punjab' Wheat - 2 cups
Whole Black urid dal - ¾ cup
Toor dal - ¾ cup
Gram dal - ¾ cup
Whole Green moong dal - ½ cup
Red chili - 2 pieces
Black pepper - 1 tsp
Urid dal broken -1 tsp (soak separately)
- Wash and soak wheat for 8 to 10 hours.
- Wash and soak other dals separately with enough water.
- Grind wheat finely.
- Drain the water from dal and use the same for grinding.
- Add soaked dals, chilly, pepper and grind coarsely.
- Adjust the consistency.
- Add salt, asafoetida, curry leaves and broken urid dal
- Apply a drop of oil on the pan/tawa and allow to heat up.
- Take 1 ladle of adai batter and spread thickly to the centre of the pan.
- Put grated fresh ginger on top along with toppings as per your choice such as drum stick leaves or mint leaves.
- Make a small holes at the centre and at the sides, add some sesame oil drops into them.
- Allow to cook in medium flame.
- Once the adai is cooked and turned roast, flip smoothly the other side and cook by putting tsp sesame oil.
- Adding black pepper to the batter alone gives unique taste. Using red chili + black pepper is another delicious combination.
- This is a wholesome food with side dishes such as raita + fruits or vegetable salad + curd.
- We can serve with grated paneer/cheese for kids.
For people who are dieting or diabetic and others who avoid rice, I formulated this receipe,
Hope you will also try it in your kitchen,